What does it to take to be a stocker?
Stocker is a person who deals with the inventory in the store. Starting from receiving the merchandise, labeling them, checking the count, checking the quality of the shipment, a stocker actively participates in dealing with all the products that are made available to the customers. Whatever arrangement a customer sees in a retail outlet is maintained by the stocker. Refilling the racks, cleaning the area, dealing with the customers are some of the duties involved. Stockers pay attention to details and should be swift enough to follow the instructions. In addition to the general skills involved some of the job specific skills are as follows:
- Ability to work in changing shifts. A stocker’s job is active throughout the day with shifts running all day. An individual fancying a stocker’s role should be willing to work in any shift he or she is assigned to. Shifts could be early morning or graveyard.
- A stocker should be adept in computing skills. Basic knowledge of mathematics is very important for a stocker to perform his/her tasks efficiently.
- A stocker has to be strong to be able to do the physically challenging tasks which involve lifting heavy weights, pushing carriers and so on. He or she has to stand throughout the day without resting which could be challenge for many.
Companies hiring for a stocker in retail might look for some additional experience too. Some of them are as follows:
- Being a stocker is like getting exposed to a hardcore retail environment which deals with lot of merchandise, inventory, money, human interaction and so on. The risks involved are high and someone who is a fresher to this job could find the job startling. It is preferable to have some retail experience before applying for this
- A stocker should also be a good seller.
- Having experience in distribution and warehouse is an added advantage.
Stocking isn’t a job for everyone but for the right person, there is no other job better than being a stocker. A diploma in high school is sufficient for applying for a stocker’s role. According to Labor statistics, there will be a 7% increase in stocker jobs in retail section between 2008 and 2018. The role is ideal for an individual who seeks stability and growth opportunities.